I try to have a nut-free option in my recipes when I can. I am NUTS about nuts… unfortunately, my little sister is deadly allergic to all tree nuts. This includes includes mango, papaya; she is even allergic to sesame seeds! These are some of my favourite foods so I cannot always be accommodating. That being said, there is nothing that makes me happier than the people I love enjoying my food! I know this happens to every foodie, that moment when you taste something you have created and you are so thrilled with the result that you just want to see other people’s reactions to the dish. So, when possible, I want to make a dish that everyone can enjoy together. For this recipe there are nut free options that taste just as good. Substitute the rice milk for almond milk and use pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and sunflower seeds instead of nuts. It adds the same crunch and is just as satisfying.
I like making this recipe at night and cutting it into bars that I can throw in my purse for a snack. But my favourite way to eat it is for a Sunday brunch, when it is still warm in the middle. This scrumptious breakfast was topped with coconut whipped cream, but you can top it with any (or all) of your favourite toppings!
Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1/2 cup walnuts/pecans
- 2 tbsp cinnamon (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup carrot juice
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (or more almond milk)
- 1/4 maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- In medium bowl, add all dry ingredients (not including chia seeds and flax meal) Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, put together wet ingredients and add chia seeds and flax meal.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix. At this point fold nuts and pumpkin seeds and raisins in to the batter
- Mix until well combined. Shouldn’t be too liquid-y. If there is too much liquid add more oats.
- Put mixture into small casserole dish and bake on the middle rack for 35- 40 minutes. Remove when edges are crisp, but still relatively soft in the middle.
- Let cool for 10 mins before serving. If it is too hot when serving it will not keep its form.