Holy cow! Well, actually no cow just bananas. I am eating this as I write a post about it. It’s just so good! My new favourite ice cream.
My favourite ice cream as a kid was mint chocolate chip… well, that, and pistachio gelato. (spoiler alert for another recipe) Funny thing is I didn’t like chocolate. I use to eat the ice cream and spit out the chocolate chips! I found it incredibly amusing. I thought that is what baseball players or hockey players were spitting out during their games… not that I am really into sports but it made me feel cool.
I can promise you that I am not spitting out these delicious cacao nibs. They add the perfect amount of crunch to this creamy ‘ice cream’.
And it is so incredibly healthy! Only 5 ingredients! Yup, AND no artificial dyes to make it green. The green colour comes from my trusty little friend spirulina powder. It is an algae that is an incredibly potent source of nutrients including: protein, antioxidants and B-vitamins. Look it up it is really interesting stuff!
Raw Mint Chocolate Chip Nice Cream!
- 2 cups frozen banana
- 1/4-1/2 tsp spirulina powder
- 2 drops peppermint extract
- 3 tbsp cacao nibs or chocolate chips
- Preferred non-dairy milk, as needed
- Blend everything, excluding the cacao nibs, in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. Be patient, if you are not working with a really good quality blender it can take a little longer. Add as little milk as possible for a thicker consistency.
- Pour into a bowl and sprinkle cacao nibs on top!