Raw desserts were what got me interested in veganism. I thought is was radical and, I have to admit, I judged without doing any research. However, I was very curious. I went to the farmers market one day and tried a raw pecan pie from this place called Fruition. I couldn’t believe what I was eating! It tasted AMAZING. Truthfully, I’d never had much of a sweet tooth. Chocolate was fine, but I would never had craved it and most sweets were just too rich. But this was a whole new experience for my taste buds! I didn’t feel sick or guilty eating it. The only thing I didn’t like was that I hadn’t tried it sooner! A new world of possibilities opened for me in that moment. I needed to buy a food processor and start a raw adventure of my own. So, here we are six months later and I can’t stop coming up with new ideas for raw desserts. If you have never tried one before, I urge you to give it a go. Find a raw dessert venue near you or try and make this recipe! Who knows! It might change your life… it certainly changed mine for the better!
Raw Mini Nutella Cheesecakes
Makes 7 mini cheesecakes
- 1 cup walnuts
- 6 large medjool dates
- Your favourite strawberry jam OR my Berry Chia Jam
- 1 cup soaked cashews (at least two hours)
- 1/2 cup of rawtella or my homemade chocolate hazelnut spread
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- extra maple syrup and/or cacao to taste
- Make the crust by putting your walnuts into your food processor and grinding them into a course flour. Add the dates. Don’t forget to take the pits out!
- After a minute or so of blending, the crust should be malleable. Press crust into 7 moulds of a 12-cupcake tray about 1/4 of the way up.
- Top the crust with a thick layer of jam and place flat in the freezer.
- To make the “Nutella” cream, blend soaked cashews in your high-speed blender or food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients and sweeten to taste. You might want to add a bit more cacao if you like things extra chocolaty!
- Fill the remaining space in the 7 cupcake moulds with the cream and allow to freeze for at least two hours. Before serving, allow them to defrost on the counter or in the fridge.
Share. Eat. Enjoy.